2-4 strips of bacon, diced
1 can of whole tomatoes, 28 oz
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of Italian herbs (oregano/thyme)
2 14 oz cans of cannelini beans
2 quarts of water
10 large Swiss chard leaves, central ribs cut out, sliced into strips
salt and pepper to taste
You know about the tomato progression. This is a bacon version of the tomato soup recipe with white beans and greens.
1. Over medium heat, render the fat out of the bacon until it’s crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, and set aside.
2. Sautee’ the onions until browned.
3. Add the garlic, be careful not to burn it.
4. Add the tomatoes and smash them up.
5. Add herbs, and black pepper.
6. If you want it chunkier, don’t blend it. If you don’t want it that way, you can use a stick/immersion blender or take it out and use a regular blender.
7. Add the beans, juice and all since it will thicken your soup.
8. Dilute with water as needed, I added two quarts total.
9. Turn the heat off, and add the chard and bacon.
10. Add 1 tbsp of sherry vinegar.
11. Salt, pepper to taste.
-If you don’t have swiss chard, you can use kale, or any other greens.
-Skip the bacon if you want, but the pork and beans combination works pretty well.