Courtesy of JKLA The Food Lab.
Anyone have any ideas on how to turn the kamado into a cold smoker? There a bunch of potential applications, particularly cheese, peppers, ketchup, salt, not to mention tons of other things.
There are a couple of principles to keep in mind.
1. Wood typically contains a bunch of water. Until you exceed that boiling temp, the wood isn’t going to ignite. 212F/100C in case you forgot.
2. Wood ignites at the 500F range. This is obviously much higher than the optimal smoking temperature, but consider that you’re only following the dome temperature, not the fire temperature. It’s a gradient, and we typically just follow the dome temp at the top of the cooker.
3. I’ve heard of using a coffee can (who has those anyway? hipster coffee comes in bags, man…) to keep the fire small, thus the temp down.
4. Would a small crockpot hit the temperatures necessary to fire the wood? Sounds like an experiment that needs to happen.
5. The temperature at the cooking grid level has to be <100F.
Let's hear your ideas.
Things were definitely consumed.
This is more of a travel log and commentary, I don’t really have a lot of visuals. Click on the links to the websites to check out what’s going on.
Lamb meatloaf sandwich with harissa
Beef goulash with herb dumplings
Roast beef sandwich
Grilled organic (aka grilled cheese)
Veggie plate: artichokes, marinated olives, red peppers, pappdew peppers, sundried tomatoes, bread, mozz
Margherita with shaved prosciutto
Pig and pineapple: pork shoulder with pineapple
Sausage with Lil Mama’s sausage
Make your own whole grain, sweet potato, and regular pancakes
Scramble with goat cheese, greens, lardons, eggs, onion
Toad in a hole
Ocean’s spring roll
Assorted nigiri including scallop, salmon, hamachi, uni, and mackerel
Bread and Ink
Greek salad with chicken
Mac and cheese
Salt and Straw
Caramel and salt ice cream
Olive oil ice cream
Pear and blue cheese ice cream
Empanadas de carne
Anticucho de pollo
Conchas a la parrilla
Some of the best “salads” contain no lettuce at all. A few if my favorites –
Celery, Pistachio, Parmesan, EVOO, Champagne Vinegar
Zucchini, Sea Salt, EVOO, Lemon Zest
Not pictured, cauliflower that has been tossed in a Sriracha vinaigrette then roasted.
Any non-lettuce favorites for you all?